Chances are, you've heard of girls making lists of the characteristics that they would like their future husband to have. But have you heard of the concept of making a list of the reasons why you think you should marry a certain guy who you already know?
I have. When Angel and I first started courting, I made a list of all the reasons why I thought it would be a good idea to marry him. I only have vague memories of that time...but I think I also may have started a list of all the reasons why I shouldn't marry him--that list no longer survives.
I'm glad I made this list of "Whys?" because I enjoy reading through it on the days when I truly wonder why I did decide to marry Angel. Not in a regretful way, for sure, but rather in a "How in the world did I, at the age of 18, decide that I wanted to grow up and be a wife and get married and spend the rest of my life with this guy?" Sometimes our whole love story seems a little farfetched to me. Unbelieveable. And this list reminds me why it happened.
So I thought I'd share the list with you today, in all of its unedited glory. I have to admit, to read it today makes me a bit embarrassed. Some reasons are shallow, some aren't so shallow. Many are purely practical, and at least one clearly demonstrates my lack of knowledge of the Spanish language in the pre-Angel era.
Why? [Written March-April 2010]
- Because he is crazy about God and the Bible, and always very interested to learn more.
- Because English is his second language.
- He is generous. To his family as well as to strangers.
- He loves Auntie Lilian.
- I like his eyelashes and his teeth. Very much.
- Nursing is a good and practical job, and it's always interesting (although sometimes disgusting) when he tells me stories about it.
- He is absolutely not okay with divorce.
- He is taller than me.
- As far as I can tell, he's a pretty smart guy.
- He doesn't complain when I talk about my family for long periods of time.
- I really like his first name, even if I can't pronounce his last name.
- He does well in positions of leadership.
- He likes to wear nice clothes, and notices nice clothes.
- He does not say sweet things often, but when he does, it's special. (i.e. "I just wanted to say, I think you're pretty with or without your glasses.")
- Because he has an interesting sense of humor.
- Because he really likes The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
- He works well with people
- He loves his family.
- He is aware that Calvin is not the greatest college in the world.
- He is sympathetic when I feel cold, even though he never feels cold when I do.
- Of course, he's attractive.
- Because he knows how to fix cars.
- Because he asked me to go witnessing with the guys on Saturday nights.
- Because he beat me at dominoes and monopoly.
- He can play the guitar.
- He likes Rich Mullins.
- He paid attention and could recognize the members of my family by name before he met them.
- He's 7 years older than me.
- He doesn't like to be messy.
- He can pick me up.
- Does Hard Things.
- He doesn't like The Message version.
- He reminds me of Mom.
What would convince you to get married?