At the beach, just before it started raining.
Sometimes, I just look at our lives, and our history together, and think, man, we are really weird. Of course, I also think that most lives seem strange when looked at from the inside.
- When we were first courting, Angel told me that he had decided he wouldn't love me until after we got married. And I was okay with that. (Though, to be honest, I didn't really believe him)
- We got married on a Saturday afternoon. Saturday night, we opened all of our wedding presents. Sunday morning and for most of our first day of marriage, we wrote all of our thank you cards, and they were mailed out on Monday. If that isn't dedication to politeness (and a strange set of priorities), I don't know what is.
- We rarely go to the beach, and when we do, only when it's storming. Once we got pulled over on the way home from the beach, and the policeman acted as if we must have been up to no good when he asked where we were coming from and Angel answered "The beach." Because there was a slight thunderstorm at the time...
- We really like going shoe shopping, together. I know that traditionally shoe shopping is fun for girls and torture for guys....but it just so happens that Angel really appreciates shoes and we like exploring all the shoe stores in the mall together in pursuit of the perfect pair of work shoes (for him) or winter boots (for me). Seriously, he instigates shoe shopping expeditions. My sister recently wrote to me, "I heard the phrase 'Shoe love is true love' and it reminded me of you and Angel." Appropriate.
- We name our cats after medicines and come up with medical-sounding acronyms to serve as code words for use in everyday life. (Medical people have so many acronyms!!!)
- There's the whole bear costume thing, of course. That's simply bizarre.
- One time, I woke up, and the room was completely dark, I couldn't see what time it was, and I just shook Angel and asked him, "Did you set your alarm before you fell asleep?" He said, "No, I'm not even going to work today." "Umm, yes, you are, it's Wednesday!" "Are you sure?" he asked, slowly climbing out of bed and going to the kitchen to take a look at the calendar. "What? I have to work?!" It was merely 20 minutes till he had to be on his way, but he got ready and made it out the door on time. This is the result of a constantly changing work schedule and a wife who is abnormally alert even in the wee hours of the morning.
- And the other day, we had to return a movie at the library, pay my car insurance, and go out to eat using a gift card someone gave me. Angel suggested that we bike to all three places. The distance wasn't far, MapQuest estimates nearly 7 miles round trip, but our home is separated from civilization by 55 mph country highways with no sidewalks, and we typically avoid those and stick to the dirt roads around our house when biking. But we braved the highways and set out on our adventure. I'm no athlete (can you tell by the striped dress and purple jeans I chose to wear for a bike outing?). We had no unfortunate run-ins with automobiles, and we even went to the dollar store and bought a few fireworks. You might be thinking that I'm highly recommending such an outing to you all as an inexpensive date.....but no. Six months worth of car insurance is no joke, people. This is no cheap date, rather, a very labor intensive way to accomplish an expensive errand!
Are there ever moments when you look at your life and think, "Man, this is weird!"?
And! I just launched a brand-new sponsorship program with an introductory price of $5 for a 200x200 sidebar ad plus plenty of tender devotion from me! Read all about my advertising program, and get a spot for your blog. Only 3 available at a time, so make the decision to invest in your blog a quick one! :)