Major Themes: The Letter I and Insects
-Write in the number of the day on the calendar each day.
-Point out which day of the week it is.
-Sang the Sing, Spell, Read, & Write letter sounds song.
-Sing the short vowel sounds song.
-Practice writing names.
-Practice writing upper and lowercase letters with workbooks.
-This week we focused on the letter I and had several associated activities:
-Found things in the house that started with the short 'I' sound.
-Asked, "Does your name have the letter I in it?"
-Listened to the Letter I song.
-Looked at the I page in our picture dictionary
-We made a cute letter I insect (six black legs, two antennae, googly eyes)
-Made the letter I with playdough
-Number flashcards up to 20
-Practiced writing numbers 1-13 on whiteboard
-Preschool math writing workbooks
-Switched things up a little this week with reading from Sing, Spell, Read and Write's Book 1.
-Teach Your Monster to Read for 5-10 minutes a day.
-Sight-words: to, has, is, the, his, her and I.
Bible and Storytime: Week 10 from Sonlight Core P4/5 Instructor's Guide.
Months of the Year: We use this song.
7 Continents of the World: Memorizing the seven continents with this song.
Telling Time: I use this song with a little clock that has movable hands.
-Talked about the different kinds of insects we know about. What insects do we see inside the house? What insects do we see outside the house? How many legs to insects have?
- Listened to the Icky Insects song.
- Went on a walk outdoors and counted how many insects we saw: ants, bees, butterflies, and one fly.
- A huge grasshopper came to visit my house this week and hung out on the front door, so that made a bit of an impression given our topic!
- Watched Bill Nye the Science Guy Season 2, Episode 11, Insects
The Bee Tree by Patricia Polacco
Bahasa vocab this week is all edible:
Rice = nasi
Water = air
Bread = roti
Milk = susu
Apple = epal
Banana = pisang
I chose these food vocab words to start with because they are favorites--probably the most asked-for of all snacks for the girls. Now I have to teach them to actually ask for their snacks in Bahasa.
- Did some basic chores together, the usual: veggie washing, dish washing, bathroom cleaning.
- Angel was home one morning and got out his flag collection and let them see and touch his flags, and talked about their friends who live in the different countries he has flags for. The girls don't know anyone who lives in Mexico, though, so I had to tell them that Angel's grandma, or popo, as the girls call their grandmas, lives there.
Crafts + Play:
- Visited the playroom and the library!
-Learned how to have "thumb wars" with each other (taught on Angel's day off).
-Used watercolor paint to paint butterflies.