Little-Known Facts About This Blog
1. This isn't my first blog. In high school, I had a blog that was probably quite different from what one might normally think of when one thinks of high school blogs. It wasn't emo at all and had very little writing. Mostly, I just posted photos from our little daily adventures for far-distant family and friends on the other side of the globe to see. This was obviously pre-Facebook.
2. The Random Writings is named after the book I self-published after my freshman year of college. It's still available as an ebook, and I even have a few spare leftover copies from the printing in my cupboard here.
3. I absolutely love my header, it was made by my blog friend Angi who doesn't currently blog (as far as I know). What my readers may not realize is that each of the funny little symbols at the top is clickable and leads to a corresponding label of my blog. So, for example, if you're ever in the mood to peruse all past "Bear With Me" photos, just click on the bear's head. The tiny angel with a halo links to all posts marked "Angelisms," and so on.
4. This blog is not the only place I write, though it's probably the most consistent place I write. Unfortunately, my story-telling talent is not nearly as marketable as, say, a talent for actual practical informational writing. In addition to randomly contributing articles to online or print magazines, I've written 4 manuscripts for children's picture books...and sent out countless queries, but have never yet managed to convince agent or publisher that my stories are as funny as I think they are...so I just read them to kids I'm teaching. Tentative titles: 10,000 Bananas; Goodbye, Toes!; The Royal Wedding; and Fred, the Frog who Blinked. They are all awesome and all the kids who I read them to agree with me. (One could argue that they have a vested interest in agreeing with me since they'll never get rid of me but never mind that). Let me know if you happen to love my style of writing and also happen to own your own children's book publishing company. That would be an awesome coincidence.
5. Only once have I been 'recognized' in public by a blog reader--that was at one of Angel's races and I might have been wearing a stereotypically Rachel-ish outfit, making myself easier to recognize.
6. This blog is heavily influenced in the background by my family. I probably wouldn't have kept blogging so consistently for so long if it weren't for their complaints when I neglect to post or when I dare to consider stopping, and they regularly suggest blog post ideas--some of which I use and some of which never quite seem like the perfect fit.
7. I love reading my own blog and when people ask what I 'do' in life, blogging is almost always part of the answer. It's fairly well-known among my 'real-life' community that I'm a blogger.
8. I'm an outfit repeater. Actually, if you've read this blog for any length of time, you almost certainly know that. My wardrobe is very colorful but not very large and you'll see the same pieces come up again and again, usually in slightly different combos, though. Last time I wore this tablecloth-turned-shirt (through the magic of a sewing machine and a self-made pattern), it was with green skinny jeans.
What's something I don't know about your blog?